Sunday, July 26, 2009

As the World Circs


In preparation for the Library Day in the Life blog project that begins tomorrow, I thought I'd get a head start. Like I normally do before my work week begins.

On Sunday nights, I empty out the messenger bag. I throw all the lunch containers in the dishwasher, pick out all the paperclips, spare change, and bits of paper that have fallen to the bottom. I arrange everything neatly, plug in all electronics (cell phone, laptop) to recharge batteries, and review calendar. I make a mental list of what needs to be done this week and try to remind myself that there will be at least five fires that will require my attention before the end of tomorrow. I may have a plan, but it will be derailed.

It took me three years to get right with that. It's always good to have a list of what needs to be done, but it's even better to understand that there will be unexpected and unnamed complications that will hinder the progress. A successful work week, for me, depends primarily on how I handle the disruptions and interruptions as they arise, since I won't be able to plan for them or schedule them.

But right now, on the list of Monday's things to do:
1. Gather materials for a meeting on Tuesday morning
2. Prepare for a meeting at the Kansas City Star
3. Review and post next week's schedule. Send email informing of any anomalies in next week's schedule.
4. Make changes in next month's schedule.
5. Review and approve last week's time sheets.
6. Confirm coverage so staff can attend monthly department meeting.
7. Plan and promote next meetings of two book groups.
8. Write customer service plan for self-service initiative.
9. Post to Library blog.
10. Pull files on three staff members and begin preparations for annual reviews.
11. Pick up August bus pass.
12. Prepare cash register banks for three public service desks.

I better make sure I do number 11. It's the most important on the list. Will pop back in tomorrow with an updated list of things to do, what really got done, what didn't get done, and what the road blocks were.

Anyone but me notice that shelving and reading didn't make the list of things to do?

No comments: