Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Three Rings


Not to rule them all. Three rings as in circus.

This morning has been spent in looking at all kinds of reports: self-check machine circulating reports, daily circ reports, hold reports, time sheet reports, ad infinitum.

A patron requested a book that we don't have any longer and I was able to get a quick turnaround on an order for her. I had a phone call about a lost set of keys with a library card on the ring and was able to contact the patron who had lost the keys and let her know where they were.

I found a second life for about 40 copies of a book I thought I had to weed and I'm very grateful for that. I didn't want all of them to wind up in landfill and now they are going to a good home.

Our staff meeting today was very successful until it was interrupted by a parking snafu. Everyone on staff as well as some visiting staff members learned the difference between collection agencies, credit reporting bureaus, and bankruptcies.

Housekeeping items included reviewing laptop problems, adjusting timesheets, and learning how to use a new staff Instant Messenger program. I also started a discussion with a co-worker about the future of e-readers in the Library. We've rainchecked it to continue at another time.

And now, it's off to work the desk until closing tonight. I will try to compose a blog post for a friend, contact possible speakers for a series of programs, catch up on emails, and outline a plan for roving customer service for front line staff.

This is the stuff they didn't teach you in library school.

No comments: